I know! There is a lot of controversy about detoxing and cleansing. But I believe YOU need a detox, a safe gentle detox. Why?
I am totally in love with making drastic changes. Are you an all or nothing kind of person too? If I am ready to make a lifestyle change I like to completely cut out my room for failure. Not everyone works like this, and maybe if you are not able to make big changes, a detox isn't actually for you. But consider this- every day we take in plenty of toxins- no matter what! The air we breath has off gasses, smoke, fumes, the water we drink is often contaminated with residual hormones, viruses, mold, the food we eat has pesticides, synthetic vitamins, new strains of bacteria, and the world we are in has wifi, electricity, radiation. Ahhhh! This is not to scare you, this is to show you that EVEN THOUGH you eat organic, and live amongst nature, and exercise daily, and drink clean water, there is STILL pollution and toxins our bodies are working on to eliminate daily.
So a yearly or biannual detox can help give your body a break. Let your liver do its job. Let your adrenals have a rest. Allow the chronic inflammation to reduce.
Often you will release weight. Often you will find your skin to clear, your hair to feel softer, your bloating to disappear, your sleep to be restorative, and your energy to be increased.
The side effects of a detox are fantastic. Yes you go through a short period of FEELING like you are detoxing. That is because the toxins truly are being released, meaning your detox systems are working overtime to get them out of your body. For example, your fat cells store toxins to keep them segregated and away from your body systems. But when you release fat cells, the toxins are released too. The best thing you can do while this is happening is to take in awesome foods and supplements that help optimize your liver, kidneys, GI system, and adrenals.
YOU need a detox because your body needs a break. You need to feel better. You need to see how it feels to FEEL BETTER than you do now!
It is possible. Think of how much you can accomplish, how you can be a better husband, wife, mother, or friend, if you had more energy, and felt amazing in your skin.
Doing a detox is NOT eating very little, starving, or eliminating practically everything. It IS eating healthy, highly nutritious, lots of healthy foods and supplements, and fulfilling. I believe a detox should also include more than just food changes. You mind needs to detox, your life needs to detox and cleanse. We can take it in steps.
So I hope that helps clarify WHY you should do a detox. Enjoy the process and feel amazing!!
*I am coaching a group though the 30 Day Whole Body Detox starting April 13th with a FREE webinar April 7th! (Click to register) Contact me for more info on the detox, and check out my post from last year how I did on the program myself!
*If 30 days seems too long I LOVE the 5 Day RESET and it is incredibly popular!! Contact me for your free coaching with purchase!
The problem with these is I eat them too easily! But they are super healthy and so I don't have to feel too bad about it :D
These only take about 15 minutes to make!
A high protein and high fat snack will help ensure you don't need to snack again too soon. You feel satiated.
These can be modified to have different ingredients on the fly too so don't feel restricted by my choices. Enjoy and feel free to share this recipe with anyone you know who loves a healthy treat!
-2 Cups Rolled Oats (Gluten Free)
-1 Cup Shredded Coconut
-½ Cup Chocolate Chips (70% or higher cacao content)
-Tsp Cinnamon (I like Ceylon!)
-½ Cup Protein Powder (I like USANA's Nutrimeal Free)
-¼ Cup Goji Berries (dried)
-2 Cups Almond Butter
-¼ Cup Hemp Hearts
-¼ Cup Chia Seeds
-½ Cup Coconut Oil (melted)
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. If it's not coating or soft enough you can add more almond butter or coconut oil. If it's too soft or liquidy add more oats or protein powder.
2. Roll them into balls and store in the fridge.
Hope you like these as much as I do!
I created the "tagline" Freedom By Design while driving to a friends cottage last summer, I guess my creativity was on high and I thought, I LOVE the idea of freedom, and I LOVE all things design, what if the two could be combined! I arrived at the cottage so excited to share with my friends and colleagues my idea. They loved it too. And even when they asked questions about it, I felt confident that this is what I stand for. Over the year it has shown up in some of my Facebook posts, and especially on Instagram but I have only explained it once really and so I thought I would shed some light on what exactly I mean here!
So the question is, what is freedom to you?
This is a photo from The Big Island of Hawaii. My husband and I travelled for 9 days around the island with a car we rented and only a couple places booked to stay that we really wanted to visit. It was such an adventure! To me, this is freedom. The ability to just pick up and go, without a map, without a plan, and figure it out. Explore, have fun, live freely, not worry about money or feel like you're escaping reality. This IS reality. This is life. For me freedom means a "job" that I can take with me on adventures. Something I can do from anywhere so that I am still a part of the economy and giving back and earning income, but also having the freedom to work at the time of day that best suits me, from a coffee shop or my living room, or from the beaches of Hawaii!
I feel free when I am accomplishing something, when I am having fun, when I am with people I love, when I am deeply involved in conversation, when I receive feedback that I have helped someone's health, or inspired them to live their freedom.
So what is freedom to YOU?
This is exactly what I want to help you achieve. I want to help you design a life that feels so freeing you could just cry. I want to help you feel optimal health, because to me health is a huge component of freedom- when we see or know someone who has lost their health, we see how restrictive it is, how frustrating it is, and how it is all that really matters at that point. If I can help you to your optimal health, I feel free too.
Freedom is also financial. It is so hard to make a change in this world, or just in your own home, without the finances to allow it. Having money can be freeing, but having money is only freeing if you use it to prioritize the things that are truly freedom to you. Having actual CASH is barely interesting. It's just paper and coins (or really just numbers on a screen). It doesn't do anything. What is freeing is what it can become. A holiday, an adventure, a dinner with a loved one, a trip to Disney with the kids, a spa retreat with a girlfriend, a trip to Germany to buy a BMW with your best buddy, get creative! What would be so awesomely fun for you? THAT is what the money will buy. And you can use it to help others live more free too- donations, building schools, funding projects, and so much more.
I ask you again, what is freedom to you? Truly? Stop thinking "well I'll never have it, it's impossible, I'm too young, I'm too old, I'm stuck...". You CAN have it. If it seems far, let's start by designing your ultimate health. Then later we can chat about how to bring in more income the way you love. My favourite method to teach income building is through my partner company in direct sales, but this is because this is how I am doing this for me. I 100% encourage you to find what works best for YOU. Do you LOVE working in law, and really enjoy a 6 hour day dressing up for work and leaving the home to come home later feeling accomplished, refreshed, and happy? Then do that, let's find a way. Do you love being at home with the kids and just wish you didn't have to leave them in childcare ALL week, but maybe a few days is good? Then let's find a way to make that work. I encourage you to design you freedom and then take the steps to get there. Sometimes it means big changes, go for it! Plan it out and then take the leap. The universe will have your back if you fully trust and allow.
That is what #FreedomByDesign is. It's your life, the way you want it.
Ready to make it happen?!
Heart Burn. Just the name of it sounds bad. And sad really. I'm definitely going to go there but let's not start with the emotional component of pain.
Let's talk about the REAL reason you have heart burn, and then 10 easy ways to make it go away.
Why oh why does my heart burn?!
This is going to be hard to believe but take a minute to just be open to the unconventional. You have heartburn because: your stomach acid is too low. I know, sounds opposite right? But it's the truth. And although acid reducers tend to work symptomatically I think we can both agree they don't make a lick of a difference long term. Of course, this doesn't help much with WHY you have low stomach acid. The lower esophageal sphincter (LES) is not holding as strongly as it should and allowing small amounts of acid into the esophagus. And any amount of stomach acid leaked up into the esophagus is harmful, which is where you feel the pain- up your esophagus giving the sensation of your heart burning. If you want to read up a bit more on this fact you can read this article by Chris Kresser who I have learned a lot from over the past few years.
Actually what is causing the LES to be weak is stomach bloating, or intra abdominal pressure.
So what is causing the bloat? Low stomach acid- which allows bacterial overgrowth (often H.Pylori) and undigested carbohydrates. A stomach acid of normal strength will inhibit bacteria (which is why taking a probiotic specifically tested for human digestion is key- they will survive human specific stomach acidity). Also, some prescription drugs lower stomach acid.
A low stomach acid inhibits our digestive pancreatic enzymes. This makes it difficult to digest carbohydrates, creating a fermentation gas and therefore stomach bloat. So to get to the root cause, you need to reduce "bad" bacterial overgrowth and increase enzymatic activity while reducing carbohydrates. (Also if you're taking Prilosec read this about why it may be the cause).
10 Steps to reduce and maybe eliminate heart burn
1) Reduce sugar intake. This changes the pH balance and especially the bacterial composition. I suggest reducing all refined sugars to an absolute minimum. It's not easy that is for sure. A great kick start for doing this is the 5 Day Reset Cleanse.
2) Reduce or eliminate grains. I would say FOR SURE gluten but if you're serious about making this stop then get rid of all grains. Maybe allow white rice as it is gluten free and easy enough to digest. A "real food" diet (you can use Paleo, Primal, Bulletproof, JERF to search recipes) will be low in grains and free of gluten. Side note- gluten-free sounds processed but free of gluten sounds like a whole food to me. Staying away from "gluten-free" foods will be important about 80% of the time but if you want to "cheat" you can consider using gluten-free processed foods for that.
3) Take a high quality digestive enzyme with meals, for awhile, and maybe for a long time depending on how long you have had heart burn. I recommend USANA Health Sciences as their products are all pharmaceutical grade top of the line and I personally have really found 1-2 tablets of their enzymes to make a huge difference in my digestion.
4) Take probiotics daily to help re-establish the gut bacteria. Again I suggest high quality and formulated specifically for humans. You can also take in probiotics by drinking delicious Kombucha (my husband calls it KAMbucha..), using real fermented foods (like sauerkraut or Bubbies pickles and relish), and eating organic fruits and veggies washed but not overly scrubbed.
5) Drink lemon water daily. Lemon water has acidity to it, which may have felt counterintuitive previously but now you see right! (remember- heart burn comes from low stomach acid..) Lemons also have plenty of antioxidants in them and natural healing properties. Lemon water in the morning will kick start your digestive system and help cleanse your body of toxins. It is easy enough to add a slice of lemon to your water bottle for the day and just keep it on you.
6) Increase your movement. Some call it exercise, I prefer body movement as I personally currently don't like to "exercise" but I do like to get outside or do other fun things. Activity based on fun will certainly make it easier to stick to! By moving your body you help the fluids move throughout your systems, cleansing your organs and helping your body to eliminate toxins and digested food.
8) Stick to eating real food. Food without labels. Or at least with only one ingredient, like "lettuce" for example. If you think your grandmother could have ate it, you can eat it. The only processing should be cutting and cooking. I can't speak highly enough to how this truly helps bring in more micronutrients, more fiber, more healthy fats and less processed toxins and junk. See my past blogs about my favourite sources for different foods but I want to mention here my absolute #1 meat farmer, he is the coolest farmer hippie and loves his animals and feeds them totally naturally. We need to come together to support these people so they can actually make a living and can continue to offer such premium foods for us. Check out Ivan the "cowboss" at Wallace Springs Eco Centre.
9) Avoid over eating and over drinking (especially alcohol). Bloating is what is causing the symptoms so overeating and over drinking (again especially alcohol) will really flare up the symptoms. When you have real foods (low in grains and sugars for sure) it is harder to over eat. Sometimes even coffee causes the bloating, alcohol almost certainly does, and pop as well. Carbonated beverages will just add to the symptoms.
10) When you have really bad symptoms, you can use a symptom reducer, like Tums. But I don't recommend such as you can imagine. I do suggest organic raw cheese, organic raw milk, or USANA's Calcium chewables. Sometimes a digestive enzyme does the trick even once symptoms arise. But the plan is to heal your gut, and not have more symptoms, but until then you will need something to help you get by.
If you're experiencing heart burn, try these tips and see how you do. You can do one at a time or throw them all out there at once, whatever you like. Be in touch to let me know, I am here for you to help answer any questions and get you feeling better. There are more tips and tricks beyond these so if they don't work as well as you hoped we will expand to see what else works. One final word is if you're experiencing heart burn due to pregnancy, it is likely due to the bloating but you should consult with your doctor or holistic practitioner before making any major changes or taking any supplements.
Good luck and have a happy heart!
I love to share health information, wealth building tips, entrepreneurial ideas, and travel experiences! Talk about a range! But doing what I love has truly paid off and I hope to help inspire you to do the same!
All Acne Antioxidants Bacon Biohacking Bulletproof Butter Coffee Cleanse Coconut-oil Detox Douglas Labs Dry Skin Essential Oils Fall Fiber Gluten-free Gut-health Health Jerf Meditate Miessence Minerals Nutrition Oily Skin Optimal Paleo Pastured Plant Based Lifestyle Plant-based Lifestyle Probiotics Pss Pumpkin Pumpkin Spice Real Food Shake Skin Skincare Sleep Smoothie Stress Superfoods Sustainable Thorne Research Usana Usana Health Sciences Vegan Vegetarian Vitamins Yoga