*Please Note, there are links in the blog. I don't earn much but every little bit counts, if you feel like purchasing by my referral I truly appreciate it! If not, that's ok too! Just enjoy the products and feel free to share if you loved them too!*
I just love sharing products and items that have really helped me, and being a new mom now I feel compelled to share with you the things that have really helped us in the first month of our daughter's life! Our little one was born December 20th, 2017, and just turned one month old recently. It has been quite a month! If you are going to have your first child (or second I'm sure!), be prepared for a whirlwind of a month! Here are the 10 things that I believe you need for the first month with a baby:
1) Nose Frida & Saline (I preferred the Otrivin baby care Natural Seawater saline, purchased at Shoppers Drug Mart). You will probably see the Nose Frida on a lot a "must have" postings, and I completely agree! Our experience was, a few days after birth our little one was super sniffly after nursing to a point where it looked like she was having a hard time getting air in (switching to her mouth often). It was very concerning for a new parent! I learned from the midwives that babies are often sniffly after nursing, the milk flows up and down, to their stomach but also into their nose a bit, but this wasn't the same. My sister ended up looking into her nose (duh I should have done that..) and saw some green obstruction, likely from the birthing process. Saline, then Frida to the rescue, and she was completely fine. I had to run out to get the saline, so I would suggest be prepared if you can and have both on hand already!
2) Gro Egg. When I first saw this item I thought it was unnecessary and pricy. I figured I would just use the thermometer on the monitor to know the temperature. But we ended up buying a monitor that didn't have a temperature feature. And I realized we wouldn't be using the monitor for the first bit. So I bought this, and it has been super helpful. It is easy to move to whichever room you are using for the baby (your bedroom, the nursery, living room), and it is so easy to tell if the temperature is good, as it changes colour to show the safe temperature zones. Our nursery is often a bit cooler or warmer than the rest of the house so this has been an excellent and simple way to know what exactly is going on.
3) Moby Temperature Whale. Ok type A parents, this one is for you! If you don't have a baby bath with the temperature built in, this is a great way to know that the water is actually warm enough to keep baby happy. They like it warm, and we tend to make it too cool for fear of hurting them. The whale goes red on the screen when too hot, and green when good, so I fill the tub to be just at the red level and by the time we are putting her in the bath it has cooled to green and she is literally super content in the bath (no crying!).
4) Coconut Oil. You can buy a large one of these at Costco of course! Yep it really is the miracle food. Here is how we use it: a) As a diaper cream or lotion (no other creams on a regular basis) b) For baby massages, generally after a bath c) To moisturize baby's dry skin areas d) As a nipple cream for mom e) As a moisturizer and healing oil for the perineum (for mom) post labour and f) As a treat for the dog when being friendly and calm around the baby!
5) Milkies Milk Saver. Full disclosure: I watch lifestyle Vloggers on YouTube :P And one of them mentioned this product, so I went directly to Amazon to order! The way it works is you put it on the opposite side when nursing and it collects the opposite letdown. You can get a bottle worth in a day sometimes!
6) Zippy jamz. Also, sleeper pj's that look like a dress (with an open bottom). Seriously, newborn outfits, as cute as they are, are so SILLY! I mean, on a regular basis, it makes no sense. When I was at Baby's World while pregnant I saw these Zippy jamz and I didn't even know what I was happening upon. I bought the newborn one and once we could use it I realized they are brilliant! There are two zippers, one for putting the outfit on, and one for diaper changes. DUH so much easier that those million billion snaps while baby cries or kicks her legs uncontrollably! The dress sleeper pj's are also excellent through the night, so much easier to change while dark and sleepy. Trust me!!
7) Dr. Jack Newman Nipple Cream. (For breastfeeding moms) This one you need a prescription for, every midwife knows what it is and can write it up for you. I will bet most OB's know too. I used it immediately, brought it in my hospital bag. I still had a hard time with breastfeeding (it doesn't make it easier!), and I still had some cracking. But this cream helps with the pain, helps prevent infections, and helps with healing. My good friend who is a holistic nutritionist highly recommended this and I cannot thank her enough. After that first few weeks you can switch to something more natural, but to get started this is worth it (to me!).
8) Zoli Buzz B Nail Trimmer. Ok, saw this from another Vlogger (at least I don't watch reality TV right?! ) but it really is one of my favourite things, if you have a baby shower that I am invited to, chances are you are getting this item! I tried the baby nail clippers but they are so squirmy, and then you accidentally cut their fingers a little (dah) and they are still sharp edges that scratch especially when nursing. I also tried bitting them off, but it's just as hard to get those squiggly hands in your mouth, and not exactly hygienic.. So when I saw this electric baby nail file in a vlog, I again made my way over to Amazon immediately and ordered it. It works perfectly, softening the nail edges and doesn't hurt baby fingers. And it works for children too so it's got a potential long life to it's usage (my excuse for spending this much on a nail trimmer ha!).
9) Bravado & Bamboobies. This looks like two doesn't it. It is. But they go together so nicely! These are again for the breastfeeding Momma. The Bravado brand nursing bras are truly some of the best. I bought one on Amazon, and one at Snugglebugz. I also saw them at Babies R Us. So comfy. The Bamboobies are reusable liners and sooo much softer than the disposable ones. They don't absorb as well as the Lansinoh disposables and do have to be laundered but I really like switching to them whenever possible.
10) Prenatals & Probiotics. You know me, obsessed with potency, purity, and guaranteed quality when it comes to vitamins and supplements. The USANA Health Sciences brand has not let me down in almost 8 years now, and I have truly and honestly never felt healthier since being on a good program with their products. Yes I am an affiliate, this is because I believe so strongly in the product and want to see you benefit as well. The prenatals are awesome, and contain iron in them to help even after having the babe with that tiredness. I always suggest probiotics also but I highly suggest them if you have to go through antibiotics in labour like I did (I was GBS positive). I took a bunch of other things to help prenatally and postnatally but theses are key! As always just contact me for your personalized program to health!
BONUS! I want to share with you these amazing affirmation cards created by two fabulous mamas Anna & Lindy called Love Powered Littles Co. I am starting them with babe now while she is still so young and will use them as she grows up! I just love them!!
Hope this helps, I read so many of these while pregnant I thought I would create one to share also! Let me know your thoughts and feedback, and if another list comes to me for the next phase of mommy hood I will certainly share!
Lots of Love
I love to share health information, wealth building tips, entrepreneurial ideas, and travel experiences! Talk about a range! But doing what I love has truly paid off and I hope to help inspire you to do the same!
All Acne Antioxidants Bacon Biohacking Bulletproof Butter Coffee Cleanse Coconut-oil Detox Douglas Labs Dry Skin Essential Oils Fall Fiber Gluten-free Gut-health Health Jerf Meditate Miessence Minerals Nutrition Oily Skin Optimal Paleo Pastured Plant Based Lifestyle Plant-based Lifestyle Probiotics Pss Pumpkin Pumpkin Spice Real Food Shake Skin Skincare Sleep Smoothie Stress Superfoods Sustainable Thorne Research Usana Usana Health Sciences Vegan Vegetarian Vitamins Yoga